When we moved into our house a few weeks ago, there were some boards in one of our closet in our kids rooms that we took out. These were 1 x 12 pine bards that were in the closet. Nothing special, but good enough for the project I had in mind, a dress up vanity for my daughter. She saw one in a photo recently and wanted me to build her one, SO I DID!
I decided the best way to use these was to cut them down into shorter sections, and put some dado’s in them. I used the trim router for that. Unfortunately it was a little weak for the job, so I bused out the big router.
They were far from perfect, but it got the job done. Looking back, I’m glad I put the dados in them. Without them, they would have been far to week and susceptible to racking and poor overall stability.
A little bit of glue, some brad nails, and a short piece of 3/4 EMT and we were good to go. OH, and I almost forgot. because of the one side only being held together by the EMT, I added epoxy to both ends of it. That REALLY seemed to tighten it up and helped out a great deal.
A little bit of paint, and a backer board on the side that had the shelves. This did 2 things. 1. It added a little bit of structural support. 2. It gave it a little bit of color and broke up all the white a bit.
The next (and probably most difficult part) was to lug the dress up vanity from my workshop, to my daughter’s bedroom upstairs. Then I let me wife do her magic with getting everything organized and into it’s place
My daughter definitely approved! No more clothes piled up in the corner of the room.
IF you made it this far, thanks for reading!
If you want to stay up to date and see more projects like this, DIY stuff, or just general ramblings from me, the check me out on Instagram, or Facebook, or YouTube as I post other ideas and content there that might not make it to a blog post.